Andrea Arroyo exhibits works that honor the resilience of the female spirit.
The Malcolm X & Dr. Betty Shabazz Memorial and Educational Center is pleased to present “Memories Interlaced” an exhibition by renowned artist Andrea Arroyo, from November 22, 2013 to January 10, 2014.
Arroyo’s exhibit marries the elegant historical venue with bright contemporary art. The female-centered works are placed amid the striking plaster garlands, cherubs, and marbleized columns of the restored Audubon Ballroom - the Thomas Lamb classic built in 1912 and the site of the assassination of Malcolm X in 1965.
Arroyo uses garments collected from women in the community, such as a Mexican huipil and an Indian prayer shawl, -repurposed evocative personal items-, to examine notions of memory, belonging, and body image and to honor the resilience of the female spirit.
About the artist: Andrea Arroyo is an award-winning artist with an extensive trajectory. Her artwork is exhibited, published, reviewed and collected internationally. Ms. Arroyo was selected by President Clinton as Global Citizen Award Artist, additional honors include 21 Leaders for the 21st Century; Groundbreaking Latina in the Arts; Official Artist of the Latin Grammys; Outstanding Latina of the Year; and the New York City Council Citation Award for Achievement in Art. She has received multiple awards from New York Foundation for the Arts, the Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance, the Puffin Foundation and the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council.
Ms. Arroyo’s work has been published extensively, including The New Yorker, The New York Times and The International Herald Tribune and has been the subject of over 150 features in the national and international media. For more information visit www.andreaarroyo.com
Andrea Arroyo presents female-centered works that repurpose worn fabrics to examine notions of memory, belonging and body image, displayed within the striking architectural elements of the restored Audubon Ballroom (built in 1912 and the site of the assassination of Malcolm X in 1965.)