It's a dream-come-true: A massive bookfest for all you bookworms
Grand Park's Downtown BookFestGrand Park (210 N Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012) Map it Free
It may not have the clout, nor the prestige, of the Los Angeles Times' Festival of Books, but the 2nd annual Downtown BookFest has its own cache: Championing the underdog, the festival celebrates the independent institutions that are undeniably indispensable in dynamizing and vitalizing a thriving literary scene in LA. With beloved indie publications, local publishers, bookstores, and community organizations including 826LA, The Last Bookstore, Libros Schmibros, Writ Large Press, and the Central Library amongst its partners, the BookFest will appeal to book enthusiasts and literary zealots seeking mainstream alternatives. Featuring a Pop-Up Bookstore containing a curated selection of literature by small presses and independent authors in addition to a collection of high-quality used books, the BookFest will also host readings by Los Angeles writers, bookmaking workshops, public-use typewriters, childrens' sketch storytelling, a poem-on-demand station, and a chance to add your own line to The World's Longest Story and/or to draw your very own creep in a monster massive comic book, plus obligatory food/beverage and musical entertainment, courtesy of food trucks, mobile bars, and DJs.
READ YOUR HEART OUT in Downtown LA! Grand Park’s literary nooks and crannies come alive in a day for book lovers both big and small.
11:30AM – 12PM José-Luis Orozco Performance
12:15PM – 1:15PM José-Luis Orozco Performance
12:45PM – 2PM Children’s Reading Circles
Join award-winning author, Tracy Trivas, for a reading from her book The Wish Stealers. Tracy will also lead the children in a “wish circle” where they will make wishes for themselves, others, and the world. Then each child will make a traveling “wish bag” to take home or to make a wish in the nearest fountain.
1PM – 6PM DJs: Phyz Ed and Danny Holloway
1:15PM – 6PM Indy Publisher Readings
Writ Large + The Last Bookstore pop up bookshop
Food Trucks to feed your soul all day long
Partner Marketplace + Activities, including bookmaking demonstrations and workshops
John McCoy Generic Bookfest 200 x 100
La Plaza de Cultura y Artes
The Last Bookstore
Writ Large + The Last Bookstore are collaborating in creating a Pop-Up Bookstore offering the best in literature by small presses, independent authors and a huge assortment of high quality used books.
Local publishers include: Siglio Press / Kaya Press / Tia Chucha Press / Writ Large Press / Punk Hostage / MAKE/SHIFT Magazine / Gold Line Press / Ricochet / Bank-Heavy Press / Vagabond Books / Spout Hill Press / Rare Bird Lit-Barnacle / Quackenworth / Aortic / World Parade / Pearl / The Rattling Wall / Zero+ Publishing / Blue Canvas / RA
Join 826LA at the Grand Park Downtown BookFest on March 29th! Come read your heart out in Downtown LA as Grand Park’s literary nooks and crannies come alive in a day for book lovers both big and small.
For book lovers:
- Add a line of your genius to The World’s Longest Story by 826LA or draw in characters in a monster massive comic book by RYMAN ARTS.
- Receive your very own poem-on-demand by POESIA PARA LA GENTE
- You think YOU love books? Meet and greet librarians from the LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY.
- Remember typewriters? Roll up your sleeves and let your fingers to the talking with PUBLISH! POETICS
- Shop the local pop-up bookshop curated by WRIT LARGE PRESS and discover books, zines and literary gems written by LAs finest.
- Don’t forget to bring your books for Grand Park’s wee library system – the LITTLE LIBRARIES. Find’em, fill’em, love’em!
- Enjoy BIRDIE’S PLAYHOUSE featuring catchy music with a Latin twist that gets kids to shake their tail feathers!
- Hear a good YARRRn with STORY PIRATES, a one-of-a-kind sketch comedy musical based entirely on stories by children, including those written by Grand Park kids. Parents and adults are encouraged to submit stories by children they know and love.
And as always, there will be food, music, and the beautiful fountain!
Go Metro and receive a Destination Discount. Show your TAP Card, Metro or County Employee ID to the Grand Park info booth crew at DOWNTOWN BOOKFEST and receive 10% off book purchases. Plan your best route using the Trip Planner.