A panel discussion reconsidering the work of Friedrich Hayek
Hayek's Triumph, Nietzsche's Example, the Market's MoralsMelville House Bookstore (145 Plymouth Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201) Map it Free
Is the Nobel Prize-winning economist Friedrich Hayek the link between the übermensch and the businessman?
In a provocative essay for the May 27 issue of The Nation, Corey Robin offers a radical reconsideration of the work of Hayek, its influence on neoliberalism and its elective affinities with Nietzsche's thinking about labor and value. How did Hayek's conservative ideas become our economic reality? Robin asks. By turning the market into the realm of aristocratic politics and morals.
Join us for a panel discussion about the essay and the issues, featuring:
- Corey Robin, professor of political science at Brooklyn College and CUNY Graduate Center, and the author of The Reactionary Mind: Conservatism From Edmund Burke to Sarah Palin
- John Palattella, literary editor of The Nation
- Moe Tkacik, writer and blogger on the financial industry
- Suresh Naidu, professor of economics and international affairs at Columbia University
- Thomas Meaney, co-editor of The Utopian